Chapter 3 of How We Learn provided a thorough analysis of important components and considerations. Transfer is important both at the acquisition and application ends of learning; teachers need to keep background and example contexts in mind when introducing new concepts and assessing understanding. True understanding, not just acquisition and recitation, is necessary for successful transfer, and it takes both time and motivation. The authors advocate active encouragement of transfer skills and highlight the applicability of metacognition to the situation of transfer.
The shorter Wiggins and McTighe article took the position that transferability is an important factor in holding students' attention. The authors outlined a couple of lesson plans that included a hook question/activity and emphasized the possibility of drawing in learners through the presentation of situations in which they would need to acquire the concepts of the unit in order to achieve understanding and rational answers. These plans showed how to construct a progression through meaning-making, concept acquisition, and successful transfer.
As always, it was interesting to read these more school-oriented approaches. But librarians don't get so many opportunities to teach people over an extended period of time, so what can I take from these pieces? First, it's important to consider transfer from existing schemata when assisting someone or leading a program; a few of the examples in the book chapter reminded me how easy it is to take the small things one might use as examples as "universal," for granted. Perhaps more generally, and most specific to me, is the basic fact that understanding takes time (as I am impatient), and that individuals will be able to transfer with differing levels of prompting. When teaching a class, guiding a patron, or explaining a concept in answer to a question, it is important to remember that some people will need more explicit explanation of transferability than I might need myself.
I agree with you that we should take away the importance of existing schemata when assisting or teaching patrons. I think working on the youth desk has made me particularly aware of the need to ask questions and explain things in a way that fits with what a child already knows. When working with adults, however, I think we sometimes take it for granted that they know what we're talking about and maybe we shouldn't assume.
ReplyDelete